Monday, October 24, 2011

Vendors Uncorked- Hey Mr. DJ,–DJ Services, Cincinnati, OH

Here it is! Our first installment of vendors uncorked!

Today we’re hearing from the amazing Brandon Lindsey of Cincinnati’s own HEY MR. DJ.

Check out his super insightful, adrenalin filled musings!

20261_279409092580_279401992580_3977944_7808253_n[1]

From Brandon:

My name is Brandon Lindsey. I own Hey! Mr. DJ Entertainment in Cincinnati Ohio and I’m a DJ and Master Of Ceremonies specializing in wedding receptions. It is now Sunday at 1:45am and I’ve just pulled into my driveway. About two hours ago I stepped to the microphone and congratulated Ryan and Stacy on their marriage. It was the final note of a magical day and night that left many of their guests telling them it was the best wedding reception they have ever been to.

About ten months ago Stacy called me and we spoke for the very first time. Neither of us knew that we would share one of the most important days of her life. In fact her first question was, “What do you charge for 4 hours?” I explained I don’t have a four hour package and for most of my clients I put in about 20 hours of work before I ever arrive at their event. This piqued her interest. We talked a little more and agreed to meet at my office.

Many brides don’t like that I refuse to quote an exact price on the phone. I don’t quote a price for a few reasons. The first reason is I don’t know what they need without talking to them more. I don’t know what will be required of me. So many weddings have so many different variables. The biggest reason however that I don’t want to quote a price is, I’m not cheap! I don’t compete with other DJs on price. I compete on value and I can’t show someone my value on the phone. I want to be able to show brides what I do that is AMAZING and usually they think I’m a great deal after that.

Many brides are like Stacy. When they call a DJ they think they are calling someone to simply play music at their wedding reception. Most are worried that if a DJ says something on the microphone it will be cheesy or overshadow them on their wedding day. Depending on the DJ they call, they may be correct. Most DJs have no training at all. They are self-taught amateurs whose years of experience consist of doing the same thing they have always done year after year. This results in average wedding receptions that are cookie cutter. I’m not like that. I want brides to know that I travel the country training, attending workshops and seminars. I want them to know that I brainstorm online with DJs and wedding professionals on a daily basis developing new creative ways to personalize their wedding day. I want brides to know why saying “Ladies and Gentlemen, at this time I’d like to” over and over again on the microphone, like most DJs do, will negatively impact their wedding day. I want couples to know why I was asked to speak in Las Vegas to DJs from all over the world about what I do. I want couples to know that their wedding can be different and better than they ever imagined. I want couples to know that five years from now their guests will remember, above all other things, moments that I can help them create at their wedding. The moments that stir emotion and make them cry, laugh, sing along and dance will be what their guests remember about their wedding reception. Those moments are what drive me.

I work with select couples and their wedding vendors to create a once in a lifetime event. I charge what I charge because I’m worth it. It amazes me that a couple would trust their event to a DJ who doesn’t charge enough money to even run a legitimate business. A real business has operating expenses like advertising, phone, gas, office supplies, equipment purchases and upkeep, accounting, legal music, training, staff, taxes, office space etc. There are only so many weekends in a year to earn money in this business. Chances are those guys that are cheaper are either hobbyist or not doing things the legal way. I’m just surprised people would trust their event to either group.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining. I’m very busy and forced to turn away events even at my higher rates. I just wish every bride and groom would shop around, and educate themselves on what is out there. Stacy and Ryan did and she actually cried in our first meeting when I showed her an example of something I do. They also laughed in that meeting when I showed them some creative things I had recently done. They left enlightened and super excited. It was a 45 minute meeting that changed the entire outcome of their wedding reception. Over the next few months we got to know each other and we planned, from an entertainment perspective, a reception that was full of amazing moments, lots of fun and plenty of time left for dancing. Two hours ago after an amazing reception filled with tears, laughter and lots of dancing, Stacy walked over to me and hugged me. Ryan looked me in the eye and shook my hand. They both sincerely thanked me. As they turned to walk away, a guest stopped them and I heard her say “This was the best reception I have ever been to.” So as I walked into my house I still had too much adrenaline and emotion in my veins to go to bed. I decided to take the time to write these words. I hope it gives a little deeper look into what I do and will lead a few more couples to make their entertainment a priority.

227571_10150165124912581_279401992580_7253404_4991650_n[1]

And that’s all he wrote!!  Check out Hey Mr. DJ! They’ll knock your spanx off! lol… oh come on… we all know you won’t be wearing socks on your wedding day!

Thanks so much Brandon!!

Au Revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment